Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Collage Up-Close

In December, I accompanied my daughter's class to the exhibit The Snowy Day and the Art of Ezra Jack Keats opens at The Jewish Museum.  The museum educator did a fabulous job and the kids were really engaged.  But I didn't have a chance to take in the exhibit the way I really wanted to.  So this past weekend, I went back, with my husband, but without kids, and took my time.  It was worth it!  While seeing a painting up close is certainly different from seeing a reproduction (seeing the brushstrokes, the thickness and texture of the paint), somehow that felt even more true to me when it comes to collage.  I, at least, can't tell from reading Ezra Jack Keats's work that the illustrations are often collage, but when you see the originals up-close, it's a different story.  The exhibit closes soon, so go if you can!

If you've already seen the exhibit, what did you think?

What other children's book illustrators work primarily in collage?  Lois Ehlert and Eric Carle come to mind.  Who else?

2 comments:

  1. Leo Leonni? Torn paper, anyway.

    When I first saw the title of this post, I read it as "college up-close" and I was shocked that you were already worrying about that for your kids. I believe they are still a bit young for campus visits.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also thought of Leo Lionni, but also Lauren Child and Carin Berger.

    ReplyDelete