Wednesday, December 26, 2012

She Can Read!

I've been pointing to words as I read to my almost-five-year-old, asking her to sound them out.  At first she was very resistant, so I didn't push it.  If she wanted to try, great, if not, not.  But lately she has become more receptive, even volunteering to read and I've noticed that she was able to sound out more and more words with more ease as well as read some words by sight.

However, I have found it hard to find books for the very earliest of readers.  Either they are too hard or have so little content that they are deathly boring.

So last night I wrote two very short "stories" on our whiteboard.  They weren't too thrilling either but this way I could come up with a mix of words I knew she knew by sight, words I knew she could sound out, and words that would be a little challenging.  My funny husband added his own unique touch at the bottom. 

And she did it!  She can read!

Do you have any book recommendations for the just-barely-starting-to-read reader?

2 comments:

  1. My favorites are the Elephant and Piggie books by Mo Willems. They are fairly simple and very funny!
    That's great that she's reading! It's so fun watching them figure it out. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was going to recommend Elephant and Piggie too and Brian Wildsmith's The Cat Sat on the Mat -it is the ultimate first reader because of the art work, repetition and prediction strategies it allows for.

    ReplyDelete